Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Break Part I -- Girls Road Trip

YLast spring break, we started a tradition where I take the girls to my parents' for a few days. My parents always welcome any time they can get with the girls, and I enjoy getting away for a few days. Plus it gives Daddy George a little break from the chaos of living with three girls. This year, we decided to leave Friday after school and come back on Monday. We had just been there a couple of weeks before when George had meetings and had stayed Thursday - Monday. Plus, I wanted to have some time to just be at home with no plans.


The girls are great travelers! We've been going since they were just shy of four months old, and I think that is huge. We also always leave right around nap time. My hope is that they will always get a good 2+ hour nap in the car and then we just have three hours of entertaining. We usually drive thru McDonalds for a smoothie and then once we get to 290 (just west of Houston), I have  no shame and the iPad comes on.

We got to Nonnie and Pawpaw's house about 7 on Friday evening, and had dinner and played hard before bed. They didn't sleep great the first night, and I think most of it was due to Ashley cutting her 2/3 year molars. She was pretty miserable! Saturday, we spent the day playing around Nonnie and Pawpaw's house and spending lots of time outside. We brought the bounce house and even Pawpaw bounced with the girls. They enjoyed swinging and exploring in the giant backyard that my parents have. Such  a difference from our small yard in Fort Worth!




Saturday evening, I met up with some girlfriends at Rouxpour in Sugar Land. A couple had to cancel, so it ended up being just Cortney, Taryn and I (and Kellye for a quick glass of wine). We had so much fun, great conversation, and truly enjoyed each other's company. I am so lucky to have great girlfriends in my life, but there is something special about your first set of "best friends" that have grown up with you and experienced so many of life's milestones by your side. We may not see each other as much as we would like, but when we do, we pick right back up where we left off.

Sunday was spent with more playing at Nonnie and Pawpaw's and then hot dogs for dinner. The girls loved every second! The time change was hard on everyone and we got in bed decently early. On Monday, Uncle Taylor picked up donuts for the girls and played with them while I packed the car. We drove 45 minutes to Sugar Land and I let them play and eat lunch before buckling down for the almost-4 hour drive home. We made it home safely and felt so grateful to have had such a wonderful trip and time with our family.









No comments:

Post a Comment