Thursday, May 26, 2016

Easter 2016

Easter is one of my all-time favorite holidays. I love what is represents for the Christian faith. I love that it is the "start"of spring. And I love that we typically have both of our families together.

This year did not disappoint! George was gone Monday - Wednesday of that week, so he had to go into the office on Good Friday. But he made it home in time for a family lunch at River Crest. It was so nice to walk in the sunshine and enjoy a leisurely lunch outside with our family. We don't get to do that often enough, so I soaked up every second. When the girls went down for nap, I went grocery shopping for the weekend. We would have my parents and Taylor here until Sunday and have George's family over on Saturday for the egg hunt at River Crest, plus Easter lunch after church at our house on Sunday. We needed a lot of groceries! My family arrived that evening and the girls were absolutely giddy to see them. They were ecstatic to see their Uncle "Tay Tay." It is amazing to me how kids just have that automatic connection with your siblings, and it's so sweet.

On Saturday, we somehow got 9 adults and 2 toddlers to River Crest by 10:30 and the girls hunted eggs! It was so special to have all of their grandparents there and Rachel and Dom and Taylor. We missed Matt, Cortney and Blaire, but knew they were having a fun time with Cortney's family. We enjoyed spending time with the Sanders at the Egg Hunt, as well as other friends. The girls loved the Petting Zoo and were perfectly content waving at the Easter Bunny but didn't necessarily want a picture with her. After the Egg Hunt, we all went to lunch before the girls took a long nap. Saturday evening, we enjoyed a late dinner with my family before retiring early since we were going to early church on Easter.

Easter Sunday was a wonderful day! This was the first year I really did Easter baskets for the girls, and they loved them! George had a tradition as a child of having the same Easter basket every year and he wanted to pass that along to the girls. I ordered them beautiful, personalized Easter baskets and placed them just outside the door (another idea from George) and they were so excited to see them Easter morning. We really don't want Easter to be about presents, so we put their swimsuits, summer sandals, a small toy for each girl, and a little bit of candy in Easter eggs. It was plenty for the girls and they were on a sugar high the rest of the day!

Church was fantastic and Reverend Mary's sermon was wonderful, as usual. She preached about how Good Friday wasn't good at all, but Easter Sunday followed it, and how we have to believe that God's plan is greater than anything we can ever imagine. This hit so close to home for me as I reflected on our struggle with infertility and how I never could have imagined how doubly wonderful his plan was for our family.

We hosted a traditional Easter lunch, following church, and then everyone was on their way home. The girls and I enjoyed a bonus day off -- Easter Monday, and hung out close to home and enjoyed the day together. He is Risen!!! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment