Sunday, December 5, 2010

Rocking 13.1

In the past year, I've really started running. I've always ran, and a typical run would be about 3 miles, maybe 3.5 miles. In February, I ran my first 10K (6.2 miles). It was the longest I had ever ran and I was beyond nervous. I ran another 10K in April and decided that I would run the White Rock half marathon.

I've been training since October (since I was already running 6+ miles as my "long" run every week). Last Saturday I ran a practice 13 miler and I felt pretty good afterwards. My joints (especially my hips) hurt the most. I've had my eye on December 5th for several months and it just seemed surreal that it was finally here.

This morning, I woke up at 4:45a.m. and started getting ready. My sweet husband, who hates cold weather and getting up early, got up like a champ with zero complaining. He drove his friend, Chris (who ran the full marathon), and I to Fair Park at 5:45a.m. Surprisingly, I wasn't really that nervous. For my first 10K, I was freaking out. Looking back, it seems so silly because 6 miles is like a rest day run for me now. At 8:00a.m., we started lining up. We were in groups based on our estimated completion time and whether we were running the half or the full marathon. It took me almost an hour to get to the starting line. I was so ready to start running! It was finally my turn and when we crossed the start line, there was confetti everywhere. It was a cool experience! I started out in a slow jog because in my previous races, I'd always started out too fast. It seemed like seconds had passed when I saw mile 1. I started tearing up because I realized I was really doing it. Holy cow! George and the Sudbecks (and Ava...yay!!) were waiting on me between miles 7 and 8. I knew I could get to that point. It seemed like no time before I was there. I stopped frequently for water and had my first pack of Gu at mile 5. Looking back, I cannot believe how smoothly and quickly the first 8 miles went by. Seeing George and the Sudbecks on mile 8 was like a breath of fresh air. I cannot believe that they all got up so early to stand in the cold and watch me run. They are all so amazing! About mile 10, I started to feel tired and my right hamstring was KILLING me. I took more Gu and had some water. Before I knew it, I was at mile 11 and then 12. The last mile took forever and the last .1 miles took even longer. Then I saw the finish line!!! I really still cannot believe it! I crossed the finish line seven minutes under my goal time. YAY!!! Afterwards I met up with the hubs and Sudbecks and we visited for awhile. Miss Ava decided it was time for a nap and Chris and I were starving so we headed back towards Fort Worth. We had delicious pizza and then George and I took a two hour nap...BLISS! Now my knees are really sore but other than that, I feel great. I am looking forward to another half in March and hopefully a full next December. Crossing the finish line is an amazing experience. I am addicted to running!!

I am so thankful to my wonderful husband for being so supportive during training. A lot of times, running took priority over hanging out at home with him. He never complained but always encouraged me and told me how proud of me he was. He is a big part of how I completed the race. I love you, George!

Bring on a full marathon, I'm ready! :)


XOXO,

Linds

Chris and I before the race.

I did it!! Half marathon complete :)

No comments:

Post a Comment