Sunday, February 13, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Holy snow and ice! February started off with the biggest snow and ice storm D/FW had seen in many years! Monday night, I got off work and met Stacy and Jo for dinner. It would be our last girls' dinner before the twins and it was so good to spend time with them. I had heard on the news that snow and ice were coming to the area overnight and of course, George was due to fly back from a trade show in Vegas the next afternoon. I was able to convince him to get on the red eye, which left Vegas at 12:50a.m. and arrived in Dallas at 5:00a.m.

Tuesday morning I woke up to freezing rain hitting the house about 4:30a.m. I tried to go back to sleep, but being the little kid I am, I was too excited. Freezing rain meant maybe no school! Wahoo! I turned on the news and checked my district web site. No cancellation yet! I tracked George's flight and saw that he was coming into West Texas. About 5:00a.m. I checked the school website, and YES, no school!! I decided I would just stay up until George got home and then go back to sleep for a few hours. I tracked his flight and noticed that they were flying in circles just west of D/FW. Then they went farther west and then south. All of the sudden an alert came up that they were landing in Austin because of bad weather! Originally they were just supposed to be in Austin 20 minutes and then they'd be on their way but that turned into an hour and then D/FW was closed because of ice. GREAT! George and his coworkers decided to rent a car and drive from Austin. I was so nervous. It took them over seven hours, and it's usually a two-and-a-half to three hour drive! He finally made it home safe and sound and napped the rest of the day. I got a call about 3:00 that school was canceled again on Wednesday and I snuggled with my hubby. We decided to venture downtown for dinner because in the middle of the winter storm, ESPN was broadcasting live from Sundance Square for the Superbowl. Downtown was so dead Tuesday night, which made me sad. The windchill was below zero. We walked by the big ESPN stage and then got back in the warm car. Wednesday I cleaned more and the temperatures remained in the low 20's (as the high). The inch of ice + 4 inches of snow was not melting! I got another call that school was canceled again on Thursday (and later saw on the news that it was true for 300+ other districts/schools in the area) and we enjoyed a quiet evening with homemade baked potato soup...mmmmm!


The beginning of the first snow/ice storm!

Looking out of the front door Tuesday morning.

ESPN in Sundance Square.

ESPN stage

George and I in front of the ESPN stage...freezing!

Our house three days after the ice storm!



Thursday was so special! I got a text from Stacy that they were on the way to the hospital to have Luke and Molly!!!! Al texted George about 1:00p.m. to let us know that the twins were here and Stacy would be ready for visitors a little later that day. We braved the ice to meet the precious babies and holy cow....instant love! They were the most beautiful twins I had ever seen and Stacy looked way too great for just giving birth hours before. We had a good visit with the Amersons and Sudbecks and then Stacy, JoAnna and I got some girl time while the boys took the kiddos to eat. I am so blessed to have these two in my life. I just can't imagine life without them!


Holding sweet Molly for the first time. So precious!

Jo and I holding the twins.

Ava pretending to be a baby. She cracks me up!

The most beautiful twins in the world!

School was canceled again on Friday because we got 6 more inches of snow. We hung out around the house again and then ventured downtown that evening to enjoy the Superbowl madness! It was so much fun. Downtown was packed and I was so happy that Fort Worth was being shown for the awesome city that it is on national television. We spent time with great friends Friday night and again on Saturday. We had a blast! Sunday we hosted a Superbowl party and enjoyed watching the game and commercials. We ate so much that I didn't think I would ever want to eat again!

The beginning of snow storm #2.

Dinner with Colleen, Van and the husband downtown during Superbowl weekend.

Theresa, Colleen and I during Superbowl weekend. I love these girls!


We had such a wonderful week and weekend. I think this was another one of those times where God knew that I needed to slow down a little bit and be forced to stay at home and relax. I enjoyed spending time with my husband (since he worked from home all week) and felt so blessed to celebrate Luke and Molly coming into the world. If the first week of February was any indication of what is in store, it'll be a great month!

Love,

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment