Tuesday, October 15, 2013

2013 - Part 1

We've made it to 2013! It's been a wonderful year, one that we will never forget! I'll recap the first six months of this year, before resuming monthy updates, and hopefully staying on track!

January
- Cotton Bowl - The Aggies played OU in the Cotton Bowl at Cowboys Stadium. George organized a huge tailgate for his company with their tailgate trailer. It was a huge success! His company had a suite and we were able to watch the Aggies BTHO OU in style! In the words of George's customer after the epic win: "(I've been an Aggie for countless years and) it hasn't ever been any better than this!" WHOOP! What a special season!

- Chevron Houston Marathon - On January 13th, I ran my first marathon in Houston. It was an experience that I cannot even begin to describe. I have never worked so much and sacrificed so much for anything in my life. Running consumed my life in the fall. EVERYTHING had to be planned around running and my sweet friends and family pretended to care every time I posted how many miles I had ran. The words of encouragement and support were so inspiring and really pushed me through the tough and painful runs. I injured my IT band and developed runners knee about six weeks before the marathon, so the last few weeks were tough. I am so thankful for Stacy and her willingness to not only leave her family to come down to Houston to cheer me on, but jump in at mile 20 to really help push me to the end. The 20-mile wall that is talked about in marathons is NO JOKE! It's real, people! She was just the burst of energy and encouragement that I needed. A special thanks to all of my cheerleaders: Mom, Dad, Aunt Dixie, Cortney, Kim, Matt, Colleen, Taryn, Megan and of course, my George. I could not dream up a more supportive husband. George has zero interest in running, yet he was so interested, suppot rtive and encouraging up until I crossed the starting line. I am a blessed girl! My official time was 5:21 -- not great, but definitely a good starting point and something to beat next time!

 





- Matt & Cortney Tie the Knot - The last weekend in January was a special one, as Matt and Cortney officially became Mr. and Mrs. The weekend was so much fun and spent with wonderful family and friends. Cortney thought of every detail and the wedding was stunning, just like her! As my sweet father inlaw said, "The Buckmaster circle is finally complete."





February
- Cowtown - This month was a whole lot less eventful! We ran the Cowtown for our fourth consective year. My knee was still on the mend from the marathon, so I took it pretty slow and easy which was fine by me. At the conclusion of the race, I got a phone call that rocked my world. Without reliving the details (but still wanting to document), JoAnna had been in an accident and was in a hospital in Houston. Stacy and I drove down on Monday night to bring our girl home, and I am so thankful that Jo recovered like a rockstar and is doing so well. Not that we would expect anything else from her -- she's pretty amazing! I have to say that the whole experience made me realize how much Jo brings to my life and the importance of slowing down and making time to spend with those that you love. I am so thankful for JoAnna and Stacy -- my DFW sisters!

 


March
- St. Patty's Day - We celebrated this springtime holiday in Fort Worth this year at the block party on West 7th. We had a great time with Jeff, Erin, Kyle and later Lindsey and Brian.




- Springlike Weather - I love March and the weather that it brings! It was starting to feel more like spring in the metroplex, and I had a week off for spring break. It is so nice to have a week to catch up on chores and errands and just catch my breath. I am thankful for a job that allows these frequent breaks!

April
- Birthdays - Here we go with the birthdays again! George organized a surprise birthday dinner for me on a Friday night. My parents were coming into town already for Laura's surprise 60th, and I was so happy they were able to be a part of the fun. Thanks to all who came and celebrated: Emily, Kyle, Theresa, Van, Courtney, Anne, Tyler, Lindsey, Brian, my parents, Rachel, Dom and George. What a nice surprise! Then the next weekend, JoAnna and Stacy acted as my personal shoppers and we had a full shopping day at the Galleria to prepare for my upcoming wine country trip. It was so much fun! We also threw Laura a surprise 60th birthday in Granbury, wished Matt birthday wishes from afar and celebrated Rachel's birthday at the end of the month.




- Half Marathon - Stacy and I ran our second half marathon together - the Big D Half Marathon! We weren't as fast this time, which was totally my fault. I was still having knee pain from the marathon. We had a great, HOT, run and enjoyed brunch at Breadwinners afterwards!



- Wine Trip - One of the perks of George's job is that occasionally we get to go on pretty great trips. Each year in Sonoma County, they have Passport Weekend. Basically, you purchase a wine "passport" and can visit any of the wineries in it for wine and food pairings. The food is fabulous, and it's a fun weekend of nonstop eating and drinking wine. That's pretty much my paradise! Luckily, the group of couples that traveled together had a great time and meshed so well. I had a wonderful time!





May
- Jo's Birthday- Jo turned 30! We celebrated at Del Frisco's Grille and with drinks in Uptown. Jo looked so fabulous and had a great time!




- End of School - School is out for the summer! As ready as I was for a break, I was so sad to send this group of bumblebees off to first grade. This was such a special group of kids and parents and I enjoyed every minute with them over the year. There were so many times that I took a step back and felt so lucky that I was actually being paid to work with them every day. It was a great year!

June
- Anniversary - We celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary! Time flies when you are having fun! It seems like just yesterday we were on our honeymoon and here are we five years later. I am so thankful for such a wonderful man to stand by my side in this crazy life! He surprised me with a new wedding band! I was completely shocked, in fact, I didn't think it was real when I opened the box. Three years after I lost mine in the lake, I was a real wife again!


- Wedding - We traveled to Destin for a quick weekend to watch Chad and Tonya tie the knot! It was a fun weekend at the beach, although we were too busy to really enjoy it. Congratulations to the George's!




No comments:

Post a Comment